Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Benches and Bargains


These benches are the ones I bought at the flea market. They were made from reclaimed wood and very sturdy. They had nail holes, peeling paint and 
lots of great distressing.

I didn't want to lose the "shabbiness"of the old wood, so I just sanded a little and added some paint and wax. On one I used the Chateau Gray and Old white mix on the legs. On that one I added the dark wax.
 

The other just got a thin coat of old white
 and clear wax.

They would make a great addition to a porch or patio. They are perfect beside a chair or to use as a coffee table. In fact I plan to take one to the river and sell the other. Not sure which one, I love them both!


 This photo shows how they looked just after I did some sanding.

Last Friday I just had the best day! As I as leaving the neighborhood a man was dragging this cabinet to the curb for trash pick-up. I screeched to a stop and jumped out. I asked if it was broken and he said it just was missing the pegs to hold the shelves. (No problem..I know Lowe's and Home Depot have those!)
 He even loaded it in my car!


As I was returning to the neighborhood,  I saw there was a Yard sale..... right on the next street! Well, I found this cute little cabinet. The lady said she used it in college and she was about my age(so it was pretty old). It was made of solid pine and was really in good shape. A missing knob was not a problem.

It had great curves and details on the doors. Plenty of dust and spider webs!

The inside had a great shelf and dividers. 

And... the very best part......I got it for 5 dollars!! The lady patted it good-by as she helped me load it in my car. When I finish, I plan to bring it back to show her. Oh, but she may want it back!
 

Another project I completed was to paint this mirror. It was one mom and dad made when they were doing the Country wood cut-outs and painting thing. It was really pretty but not the colors I wanted. 

I undercoated some areas with Provence chalk paint and then painted over with Old White. I just did a touch of sanding to let this show through. I plan to put it over the blue chest at the river.


My new pieces called for new colors, so I got some great ones. Wait 'til you see.
Should be back tomorrow with a peek at 
one of them. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: