Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chest of Drawers....whew!

The chest of drawers is finally finished! It was a huge project and the 100 degree temps did not help.
Lots of work but it will be so cute at the cabin! I kept thinking of that as I was sanding and sweating!  With the help of Brennen and Isabella we got off most of the paint. I also got the top glued back on. 
Here is the finished chest. I have to admit that it was a definite learning experience! I gave it  two smooth coats of Aquamarine paint by Sherwin Williams. It covered very well and looked great. Then I wanted it 
to look shabby so I sanded so some of the wood peeked through. I then used a mixture of dark and clear Annie Sloan wax to give a little definition.

  You can see in the picture above I had to bring it in to the Scrap room to be able to paint. Much better!
  
I painted the inside and outside of the drawers with gray paint. I lined the drawers with this delightful Peacock patterned scrapbook paper I found at 
Michael's.
 

Also, I looked for new handles. Bought several different ones to try but they just weren't right. So I got out my spray paint and painted them brown. Then I painted over them. Sanded off a little and waxed. I like them now! Whew! You just would not believe how much time I spent on this project!!

Anyway, I was so happy today to have it finished! 
Below you will see the cute little jar I found on clearance at Michael's and the Know Alabama book I found in my mom's attic. My name is written in the front. Can't remember which grade we studied Alabama history, but I can refresh my memory anytime I feel the need now! Can't believe she kept it!

The book page " doily" is an idea I found on Pinterest. I just tore out the pages and used the seashell punch (thanks,Pam) on the edges. A little tricky to punch but well worth the effort.

 
 
 
A good view of the drawer insides and my feet!!


I hope you like my project. I have enough of this color to paint at least one more large piece of furniture.
 I do love this color!!
I also painted on the benches today. Should finish those in the next day or so. Remember,  I love comments!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Pam said...

You are a master of furniture redo! I am so impresssed at your use of color and other items to bring such a piece together. You are inspiring me to tackle something big!!!